Help and Advice Sources


Crime Prevention


Advice and Support Organisations

We will check details regularly but if you find
information is out of date or would like to suggest
additions please let us know. Use the “Contact
Us” button at the top of the page.

Advice and Counselling

The Samaritans:

A charity that helps the lonely or suicidal. Numbers
are in the local phone book or the operator will put you
through. You can get help on the phone by calling their
national Helpline, or face to face.

Remember, if you were abused as a child, it is never
too late to seek help and talk about how you feel. 0345
90 90 90


The Commission for Racial Equality:

Works to eliminate racial discrimination and the
promote equal opportunities between people of different
racial groups. They will be able to put you in touch
with your local Race Equality Council.

Contact CRE at:
10 – 12 Allington Street,
020 7828 7022
or visit the Commission’s website at

The Suzy Lamplugh Trust:

The national charity working to promote personal
safety and a safer society. Contact the Trust at;
14 East Sheen Avenue,
SW14 8AS
020 8392 1892 or visit the Trust’s website at:

Councils for Voluntary Service:

If you would like to get involved in voluntary
activity in your area contact your local Council for
Voluntary Service (CVS). Details in your local library,
Citizen’s Advice Bureau or contact:

The National Association of Councils for Voluntary
Service (NACVS),
3rd Floor,
Arundel Court,
177 Arundel Street,
S1 2NU
0114 278 6636

Drugs & Alcohol Misuse

Alcohol Concern:

A national charity working to promote sensible
drinking and to improve services to help problem
drinkers. The charity produces a booklet ‘Alcohol and
Your Children’ and can provide information, advice or
details of the your local alcohol advisory service.
Contact Alcohol Concern at:

Waterbridge House,
32-36 Loman Street,
020 7928 7377 or visit the Charity’s website at:


A National helpline offering confidential advice on
sensible drinking and alcohol services.
0800 917 8282 Visit the website at:

Health Development Authority:

The HDA produces educational material, including
leaflets on drugs and alcohol. These are generally
available through GP surgeries, health centres and other
and health promotion units. The HDA may be contacted at:

Health Development Agency
Holborn Gate
330 High Holborn
London WC1V 7BA

020 7430 0850 or visit the HDA website at:


Tacade is a drug and alcohol advice and education
organisation offering information and training. Contact
them at:

1 Hulme Place,
The Crescent,
M5 4QA
0161 836 511399 or visit the Tacade website at:

Health Publications Unit:

Leaflets on drugs and solvents including:

‘Drugs and Solvents – you and your child

‘Drugs – a parents’ guide’

Solvents – a parents’ guide’

are available from the Health Publications Unit,
Contact the HPU Ordering Service at:

No 2 Site,
Heywood Stores,
Manchester Road,
OL10 2PZ
01304 614 731

National Drugs Helpline:

Calls are free and confidential and the service is
available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. 0800 77 66

Elderly people

Help The Aged:

Provides practical support to help older people live
independent lives; particularly those who are frail,
isolated or poor. Contact them at

:St James’s Walk,
Clerkenwell Green,
020 7253 0253 or visit the website at:
“Senior Line” provides welfare rights advice
for older people and their carers. Call free on 0808

Age Concern:

Age Concern exists to promote the well-being of all
older people and to help make later life a fulfilling
and enjoyable experience. Contact them at:

Age Concern England,
Astral House,
1268 London Road,
SW16 4ER
020 8765 7200 or visit the Age Concern website at:

Parents & Families

Exploring Parenthood:

A national charity offering factsheets and a
counselling service. You can contact them at:

4 Ivory Place,
20a Treadgold Street,
W11 4DP
020 7221 6681

Parentline Plus:

Offers help and advice to parents who are under
stress, or are experiencing difficulties with a child.
Their address is:

3rd Floor Chapel House,
18 Hatton Place,
0808 800 2222

Highscope UK:

Highscope trains staff to work with pre-school
children in various settings, to teach younger children
decision-making and evaluation skills. Contact them at;

Copperfield House,
190-192 Maple Road,
SE20 8HT
020 8676 0220

Homestart UK:

Homestart volunteers offer friendship, support and
practical help to young families at home. For details of
your nearest branch office contact Homestart UK at:

2 Salisbury Road,
0116 233 9955

Kids Club Network:

Kids Club Network provides advice on setting up
after-school and holiday play schemes. KCN’s address is:

Bellerive House,
3 Muirfield Crescent,
E14 9SZ
020 7512 2100

Property and possessions

Local authority Housing Departments:

Some councils will help tenants with the cost of
fitting extra locks and alarms – especially for
pensioners and the disabled � and may run a special
lock-fitting scheme. Your Housing Department or local
police station will have information about any schemes
in your area run by other organisations.

Home Insurance Companies:

Some insurers offer lower premiums to people who fit
approved security locks and alarms. Some also offer
discounts if you belong to a Neighbourhood Watch or Home
Watch scheme. Ask your insurer for details.

Building Societies or Banks:

Banks and building societies may be willing to lend
the money for extra security and may be able to add the
cost to a existing mortgage. Good security can increase
the value of your property.

Locks and locksmiths:

Contact the Master Locksmiths Association for the
name of approved locksmiths in your area.

Master Locksmiths Association
5d, Great Centre Way,
Woodford Halse,
NN11 3PZ

01327 262 255

or visit the Association website at:

Police Crime Prevention Officers:

Force Crime Prevention Officers offer free
professional advice on securing your home or property.
Contact your local police station.

Cash and credit cards:

Banks and Credit Card Companies will be able to
advise you on safeguarding your cash and credit cards.

If your bank or credits cards are lost or stolen
contact your bank or credit card company immediately.
Check your last bank /credit card statement for the
number to ring.

Ring the Card Watch Campaign on 0990 500005 for a
free advice leaflet on how to look after your plastic


Vehicle Security Installation Board:

Contact VSIB for a copy of the list of fully
accredited vehicle security installation companies at:

Bates Business Centre,
Church Road,
Harold Wood,


Equifax can provide a check on the status/ownership
of a second hand vehicle. Contact them at:

Dolphin House
P O Box 61,
New Street,

01722 422422

Motorcycle Action Group:

MAG runs a reward scheme for information on thefts of
motorcycles and parts. Contact them at:

P O Box 750,
B30 3BA

Hotline : 0121 604 1991

Vehicle inspections:

If you are buying a second-hand vehicle a full
vehicle inspection can prove to be a very sound

Telephone the Automobile Association (0345 500
610) or the Royal Automobile Club (0800 333 660), or
visit your local office.

Victims of crime

National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty To
Children (NSPCC):

If you know of a child being abused, being subjected
to cruelty or at risk contact the NSPCC 0800 800 500 (in
Scotland, the RSPCC on 0131 337 8539)

Visit the Society’s website at:

Victim Support Schemes:

Local victim support schemes – run by volunteers –
can offer support and advice to victims of crime. Ask
for information about the nearest group at local police
stations, public libraries, Citizen’s Advice Bureaux or
Councils for Voluntary Service.

Visit the Victim Support website at:

Women’s Aid Federation:

Women’s Aid Federation provides free support and
advice for victims of domestic violence, and can put you
in touch with women’s’ refuges.

Their national helpline is 0345 023 468

Malicious/nuisance telephone calls:

BT offer a free advice service and a leaflet on
dealing with malicious or nuisance calls. Telephone 0800
666 700 for a recorded advice message or dial 150
(free), between 8am to 6pm, Monday to Saturday.

Social Services:

If you or your children need to get away from a
violent partner, your local authority social services
department can put you in touch with nearby refuges for

Rape Crisis Centres:

Rape Crisis Centres provide sympathetic and
confidential help and support. Find the nearest centre
by calling 020 7837 1600 (0131 556 9437 in Scotland)

Citizens Advice Bureaux:

CABs can help you to obtain free legal advice. Ask in
your local public library for details of the nearest CAB
or check the local phone book.



Last update:  27/08/02

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *