Motoring – Notifying the insurance company




Frequently Asked Questions

Motoring – Notifying the insurance company

I have been involved in a collision. Do I have to notify my insurance company?

Most, if not all, insurance policies state that the insured person must notify them of any accident in which they are involved, irrespective of whether or not a claim is to
be made or whose fault it was. They will usually send you a motor accident report form to fill in and return.

<< back to index

Motoring – Parking on streets

What is the law relating to parking on streets?

Pavement Parking

It is an offence for a person, without lawful authority or excuse, to wilfully obstruct the passage along the highway. This applies to vehicles obstructing pavements and would
normally be dealt with by a Fixed Penalty Notice.

Workmen Parking

In some areas of the country workers who wish to park on streets now have to apply to the council for parking permits, NOT the police. In other areas, the police currently still
issue parking exemption certificates and workmen wishing to park should contact their local police station.

Parking at Night

During the hours of darkness, vehicles which are goods vehicles no more than 1525kg unladen weight or passenger vehicles with less than eight passengers, excluding the driver,
may be parked with their near side to the kerb. The vehicle cannot be parked within 10 metres of a junction.
Exceptions to parking nearside to the kerb at night are:

  • In a one way street, in which case vehicles can park on either side of the road, if parking is allowed.

  • With the permission of, or directed by, a police officer.

If a vehicle is parked on a road which does have not a 30mph speed limit, parking lights must be used. Any road which has street lighting no more than 200 yards apart, unless
otherwise shown, will be a 30mph speed limit.

Goods Vehicles

A vehicle over 7.5 tonnes may park on the highway provided:

  • It does not cause an obstruction or other offence

  • Its lights are lit during the hours of darkness

It is an offence for a goods vehicle over 7.5 tonnes to park on the verge of a road, a central reservation or footway, unless instructed to do so by a police officer as a result
of an emergency, or for unloading where there is no other place to unload and the vehicle is not left unattended at any time.

<< back to index

Motoring – Parking cones

A relative has passed away and we would like to put ‘no parking’ cones outside the house to assist the funeral cortege. Can you tell us how we go about arranging this?

Your local council can arrange for parking cones to be available. Please contact your local Highways Department for advice.

<< back to index

Motoring – Parking outside your home

Someone has parked on the road outside my house and is blocking my driveway. I cannot get in or out. What can I do?

If the vehicle is causing an obstruction and you should contact your local police and they will check whether the vehicle is stolen or not. If necessary they will send an officer.

Please note: In normal circumstances this is not an emergency and therefore it may take some time for the officer to attend. In the meantime, try to trace the owner of the vehicle
by making local enquiries with your neighbours, etc.

<< back to index

Motoring – Parking on private land

Someone has parked on my land, what can I do?

As the vehicle is on private land, it is for you (or the owner of the land) to resolve the issue.

The following suggestions may help you:

  • Make local enquiries to see if you can trace the driver or get information about when the vehicle was left.

  • You may be able to arrange for its removal by contacting your local authority. There may be a charge for this service which you could claim from the owner if he or she can
    be traced.

  • Seek legal advice from your solicitor or from your local Citizens’ Advice Bureau.

  • Contact your local police if you have further evidence or information which suggests there is something suspicious about the vehicle.

<< back to index


Last update:  

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *