Motoring – Penalty points




Frequently Asked Questions

Motoring – Penalty points

What are penalty points?

Certain motoring offences can result in endorsement of your driving licence with penalty points.

Penalty points last 3 years from the date of the offence, but remain on the licence for 4 years (11 years for drinking or drug offences).

If 12 or more points are accumulated within 3 years the driver will be disqualified, however the courts are given limited powers not to disqualify in exceptional circumstances.
If a newly-qualified driver receives 6 or more points within 2 years of passing their test they are required to retake the driving test.

The 3-year term is measured from the date that the latest offence was committed.

After disqualification under the totting-up procedure the existing points will be removed from your licence but your licence will refer to the disqualification for 4 years (11
years for alcohol or drug driving offences).

<< back to index

Motoring – Producing driving documents

I have lost the note that requires me to produce my driving documents at a local police station. What should I do?

You are under a legal obligation to produce your documents within seven days of being requested to do so by the officer who gave you the form.

You must take all the documents you were asked to produce (driving licence, insurance certificate and MOT certificate), to the police station that you nominated at the time.
If you cannot remember which station you stated at the time, you can take them to any police station within your force area.

When you attend the police station, you will need to tell the person in the front office the time, date and location where you were stopped.

<< back to index

Motoring – Restrictions on motorcycles

What are the restrictions for riding motorcycles?

If you have a provisional motorcycle licence, you must satisfactorily complete a Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) course. You can then ride on the public road, with ‘L’ plates,
for up to three years.

During this time you must pass a motorcycle theory test and then a practical test to obtain your full motorcycle licence, otherwise you will lose your licence for one year.

If you have a full car licence you may ride motorcycles up to 125cc and 11kw power output, with ‘L’ plates on public roads, but you must first complete a CBT course.

If you have a full moped licence and wish to obtain full motorcycle entitlement you will be required to take a motorcycle theory test if you did not take a separate theory test
when you obtained your moped licence. You must then pass a practical motorcycle test.

You MUST NOT carry a pillion passenger or pull a trailer until you have passed your test.

<< back to index

Motoring – Seat belts

What is the law relating to seat belts?

The Highway Code gives the following advice:


Front Seat
(All Vehicles)

Rear Seat
(Cars and Small Minibuses)

Whose Responsibility


Must be worn if fitted



Child under 3 years of age

Appropriate child restraint must be worn

Appropriate child restraint must be worn if available


Child aged 3 – 11 and under 1.5 metres – about 5 feet in height

Appropriate child restraint must be worn if available.
If not an adult seat belt must be worn

Appropriate child restraint must be worn if available.
If not an adult seat belt must be worn if available


Child aged 12 or 13 or younger or younger child 1.5 metres or more in height

Adult seat belt must be worn if available

Adult seat belt must be worn if available


Passenger over the age of 14 years

Must be worn if available

Must be worn if available


Are there any exceptions to the wearing of seat belts?

Yes. They are as follows:

Hackney Carriage taxi drivers are exempt from wearing seat belts while on duty (whether they have a passenger or not). Private Hire taxi drivers are only exempt when carrying
a fare-paying passenger. They must wear a seat belt at all other times.

Some of the most common exemptions for people who are 14 years and over are:

  • Delivery people such as milk float drivers

  • Motorists reversing

  • Emergency vehicle staff in certain circumstances

  • People holding a medical exemption certificate. (A seat belt medical exemption certificate is only issued by a doctor).

<< back to index

Motoring – Speed cameras

I have been flashed by a speed camera. When will I know if I am going to be prosecuted?

The registered keeper of the vehicle will receive a Notice of Intended Prosecution within 14 days of the alleged offence. If the keeper hears nothing within 14 days it is unlikely
to go to court.

The registered keeper is required by law to complete the Notice of Intended Prosecution, giving details of the driver/rider at the time of the alleged offence. The person named
will then receive a summons to court.

<< back to index


Last update:  

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *