Motoring – Speeding




Frequently Asked Questions

Motoring – Speeding

What is the penalty for speeding?

If you receive a fixed penalty ticket you will pay a �60 fine and have three points on your driving licence. If you go to court you will receive a fine of up to �1,000 plus
costs and you could be disqualified from driving or your licence could be endorsed.

Will I have to go to court?

This depends on the speed detected and the status of your driving licence. You will not have to go to court if you have less than nine points on your driving licence, the speed
was not excessive and if you hold a current DVLA licence. You will have to go to court if you were travelling at excessive speed, if you have nine or more points on your driving
licence or if you hold a foreign driving licence.

What if it wasn�t me who was driving?

As the registered owner of the car you are required to provide the full name and address of the driver at the time of the alleged offence. Failure to do so could be an offence.

Can I see the photographic evidence?

You can request photographic evidence by post if you are disputing the vehicle was in the area or if you are unsure who was driving at the time of the offence.

I recently sold my car but have still received notification of prosecution. Why?

It is your responsibility as the previous owner to notify the DVLA of any change in ownership of the vehicle.

<< back to index

Motoring – Speeding and parking tickets

What are Fixed Penalty Tickets?

Fixed Penalty Tickets are issued by police officers and traffic wardens.
They are either non-endorsable (white) for offences involving matters such as parking or seat-belts, or endorsable (yellow) for offences such as speeding or parking on zig-zags.

The back of the ticket explains what action should be taken and where and how to pay the fine.

In some areas of the country, where street parking has been decriminalised, the police no longer enforce breaches. Instead, this is carried out by the local council. They can
issue ‘Penalty Notices’ which cost �60.

I have lost the ticket, what should I do?

Send your payment to the Fixed Penalty Office at the magistrates’ court which covers the area where the offence was committed. Write your vehicle registration number and the
date of the offence on the back of the cheque.

How should I pay?

Either post a cheque to the Fixed Penalty Office, or phone the local Fixed Penalty Office at your local magistrates’ court and pay by credit card. You can also pay in cash –
but should not send cash through the post.

If I cannot pay, what will happen?

The matter may be processed against you and may eventually result in a summons to appear in court.

Can I appeal against the ticket?

You can either pay the fine or take the matter to court. If you feel a fixed penalty ticket has been incorrectly issued to you, you should complete Part Three of the reverse
of the ticket and attach a letter of mitigation. The issue of the ticket will be considered and a reply given.

<< back to index

Stolen vehicles

My car has been stolen. What should I do?

Call in to your local police station or phone your force switchboard.
DO NOT CALL 999 to report your car stolen unless the crime has just been committed, for example, if you see the thieves driving your vehicle away.

Will the police attend?

In cases where the offence may have been committed several hours ago and the offender has left the scene, it is unlikely we will attend because this would not be a good use
of police officers’ time. Instead, we will take full details over the phone and pass these to patrolling officers. Details will also be placed on the Police National Computer
for circulation nationwide.

What will happen if the police find my vehicle?

It will be removed to a secure garage for safe keeping. This will reduce the chances of it being stolen again or targeted by vandals, which often happens to abandoned vehicles.

Our forensic teams will take the opportunity to examine it as quickly as possible – usually within hours – to identify the thieves responsible, as catching these people is a
high priority for us.

You should be aware there will be a fee to pay to the garage before you can have your car back. This is a statutory fee which you can claim back from your insurance company.
The money is kept by the garage to offset the costs of removing your vehicle.

What if I cannot afford to pay the release fee? What will happen to my vehicle?

As the fee is laid down by statute it should be paid. However, in cases of severe hardship some owners may be able to apply for a refund. The address to write to is: Police
Contracts Automobile Association Developments Ltd, Fanum House, Dog Kennel Lane, Halesowen, West Midlands B63 3BT. This is the address of the organisation which manages the removal
of vehicles on behalf of the police.

<< back to index

Noisy neighbours

What can the police do about my noisy neighbours?

Normally, complaints of domestic noise, persistent alarms, dogs barking etc, are dealt with by the local environmental health officer, unless there are other circumstances which
warrant police attendance. If an element of anti-social behaviour is involved, we will of course become involved, and will work with other agencies to find a solution. For details
of your local Environmental Health Department, see the telephone directory.

<< back to index


What are the restrictions on becoming a police officer?

To become a police officer you must:

  • be at least 18 1/2 years of age

  • have a high standard of physical fitness with good health and eyesight

  • be a British citizen, a Commonwealth citizen with no restrictions of stay, or a citizen of the Irish Republic

  • be of good character

  • have a reasonable standard of literacy, numeracy and memory skills

  • satisfy financial checks

<< back to index


Last update:  

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *