Help and Advice Sources

Crime Prevention

Advice and Support Organisations

We will check details regularly but if you find information is out of date or would like to suggest additions please let us know. Use the “Contact Us” button at the top of the page.

Advice and Counselling

The Samaritans:

A charity that helps the lonely or suicidal. Numbers are in the local phone book or the operator will put you through. You can get help on the phone by calling their national Helpline, or face to face.

Remember, if you were abused as a child, it is never too late to seek help and talk about how you feel. 0345 90 90 90


The Commission for Racial Equality:

Works to eliminate racial discrimination and the promote equal opportunities between people of different racial groups. They will be able to put you in touch with your local Race Equality Council.

Contact CRE at:
10 – 12 Allington Street,
020 7828 7022
or visit the Commission’s website at

The Suzy Lamplugh Trust:

The national charity working to promote personal safety and a safer society. Contact the Trust at;
National Centre for Personal Safety,
Hampton House,
20 Albert Embankment,
020 7091 0014 or visit the Trust’s website at:

Councils for Voluntary Service:

If you would like to get involved in voluntary activity in your area contact your local Council for Voluntary Service (CVS). Details in your local library, Citizen’s Advice Bureau or contact:

The National Association of Councils for Voluntary Service (NACVS),
3rd Floor,
Arundel Court,
177 Arundel Street,
S1 2NU
0114 278 6636

Drugs & Alcohol Misuse

Alcohol Concern:

A national charity working to promote sensible drinking and to improve services to help problem drinkers. The charity produces a booklet ‘Alcohol and Your Children’ and can provide information, advice or details of the your local alcohol advisory service. Contact Alcohol Concern at:

Waterbridge House,
32-36 Loman Street,
020 7928 7377 or visit the Charity’s website at:


A National helpline offering confidential advice on sensible drinking and alcohol services.
0800 917 8282 Visit the website at:

Health Development Authority:

The HDA produces educational material, including leaflets on drugs and alcohol. These are generally available through GP surgeries, health centres and other and health promotion units. The HDA may be contacted at:

Health Development Agency
Holborn Gate
330 High Holborn
London WC1V 7BA

020 7430 0850 or visit the HDA website at:


Tacade is a drug and alcohol advice and education organisation offering information and training. Contact them at:

1 Hulme Place,
The Crescent,
M5 4QA
0161 836 511399 or visit the Tacade website at:

Health Publications Unit:

Leaflets on drugs and solvents including:

‘Drugs and Solvents – you and your child

‘Drugs – a parents’ guide’

Solvents – a parents’ guide’

are available from the Health Publications Unit, Contact the HPU Ordering Service at:

No 2 Site,
Heywood Stores,
Manchester Road,
OL10 2PZ
01304 614 731

National Drugs Helpline:

Calls are free and confidential and the service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. 0800 77 66 00

Elderly people

Help The Aged:

Provides practical support to help older people live independent lives; particularly those who are frail, isolated or poor. Contact them at

:St James’s Walk,
Clerkenwell Green,
020 7253 0253 or visit the website at: “Senior Line” provides welfare rights advice for older people and their carers. Call free on 0808 8006565

Age Concern:

Age Concern exists to promote the well-being of all older people and to help make later life a fulfilling and enjoyable experience. Contact them at:

Age Concern England,
Astral House,
1268 London Road,
SW16 4ER
020 8765 7200 or visit the Age Concern website at:

Parents & Families

Exploring Parenthood:

A national charity offering factsheets and a counselling service. You can contact them at:

4 Ivory Place,
20a Treadgold Street,
W11 4DP
020 7221 6681

Parentline Plus:

Parentline Plus is a national charity offering help and information for parents and families via a range of services including a free 24-hour confidential helpline, workshops, courses, information leaflets, email helpline and website. Their address is:

520 Highgate Studios
53-79 Highgate Road
London NW5 1TL
0808 800 2222

Highscope UK:

Highscope trains staff to work with pre-school children in various settings, to teach younger children decision-making and evaluation skills. Contact them at;

Copperfield House,
190-192 Maple Road,
SE20 8HT
020 8676 0220

Homestart UK:

Homestart volunteers offer friendship, support and practical help to young families at home. For details of your nearest branch office contact Homestart UK at:

2 Salisbury Road,
0116 233 9955

Kids Club Network:

Kids Club Network provides advice on setting up after-school and holiday play schemes. KCN’s address is:

Bellerive House,
3 Muirfield Crescent,
E14 9SZ
020 7512 2100

Property and possessions

Local authority Housing Departments:

Some councils will help tenants with the cost of fitting extra locks and alarms – especially for pensioners and the disabled – and may run a special lock-fitting scheme. Your Housing Department or local police station will have information about any schemes in your area run by other organisations.

Home Insurance Companies:

Some insurers offer lower premiums to people who fit approved security locks and alarms. Some also offer discounts if you belong to a Neighbourhood Watch or Home Watch scheme. Ask your insurer for details.

Building Societies or Banks:

Banks and building societies may be willing to lend the money for extra security and may be able to add the cost to a existing mortgage. Good security can increase the value of your property.

Locks and locksmiths:

Contact the Master Locksmiths Association for the name of approved locksmiths in your area.

Master Locksmiths Association
5d, Great Centre Way,
Woodford Halse,
NN11 3PZ

01327 262 255

or visit the Association website at:

Police Crime Prevention Officers:

Force Crime Prevention Officers offer free professional advice on securing your home or property. Contact your local police station.

Cash and credit cards:

Banks and Credit Card Companies will be able to advise you on
safeguarding your cash and credit cards.

If your bank or credits cards are lost or stolen contact your bank or credit card company immediately. Check your last bank /credit card statement for the number to ring.

Ring the Card Watch Campaign on 0990 500005 for a free advice leaflet on how to look after your plastic cards.


Vehicle Security Installation Board:

Contact VSIB for a copy of the list of fully accredited vehicle security installation companies at:

Bates Business Centre,
Church Road,
Harold Wood,


Equifax can provide a check on the status/ownership of a second hand vehicle. Contact them at:

Dolphin House
P O Box 61,
New Street,

01722 422422

Motorcycle Action Group:

MAG runs a reward scheme for information on thefts of motorcycles and parts. Contact them at:

P O Box 750,
B30 3BA

Hotline : 0121 604 1991

Vehicle inspections:

If you are buying a second-hand vehicle a full vehicle inspection can prove to be a very sound investment.

Telephone the Automobile Association (0345 500 610) or the Royal Automobile Club (0800 333 660), or visit your local office.

Victims of crime

National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty To Children (NSPCC):

If you know of a child being abused, being subjected to cruelty or at risk contact the NSPCC 0800 800 500 (in Scotland, the RSPCC on 0131 337 8539)

Visit the Society’s website at:

Victim Support Schemes:

Local victim support schemes – run by volunteers – can offer support and advice to victims of crime. Ask for information about the nearest group at local police stations, public libraries, Citizen’s Advice Bureaux or Councils for Voluntary Service.

Visit the Victim Support website at:

Women’s Aid Federation:

Women’s Aid Federation provides free support and advice for victims of domestic violence, and can put you in touch with women’s’ refuges.

Their national helpline is 0345 023 468

Malicious/nuisance telephone calls:

BT offer a free advice service and a leaflet on dealing with malicious or nuisance calls. Telephone 0800 666 700 for a recorded advice message or dial 150 (free), between 8am to 6pm, Monday to Saturday.

Social Services:

If you or your children need to get away from a violent partner, your local authority social services department can put you in touch with nearby refuges for women.

Rape Crisis Centres:

Rape Crisis Centres provide sympathetic and confidential help and support. Find the nearest centre by calling 020 7837 1600 (0131 556 9437 in Scotland)

Citizens Advice Bureaux:

CABs can help you to obtain free legal advice. Ask in your local public library for details of the nearest CAB or check the local phone book.


Last update: Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *